Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog # 30

My Beloved 70 Bloggees (Welcome Levi):
 
 
 
Our Spartanburg, SC and Tar Heel alumnus bloggee pointed out an amazing fact that was new to me about the Clemson - North Carolina basketball rivalry. Clemson has visited Chapel Hill 55 times and the Tigers have NEVER won. That is right, Clemson has never won at North Carolina including Tuesday night's 75 - 65 Tar Heel victory. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/577642-unc-basketball-clemson-tigers-lose-55th-in-a-row-to-tar-heels-in-chapel-hill
 
Think about some former Clemson players....Tree Rollins, Horace Grant, Larry Nance, Elden Campbell, Dale Davis . How about some of coaches who have been at the helm in Greenville....Tates Locke, Cliff Ellis, Press Maravich, Rick Barnes, UF assistant Larry Shyatt. Not one time could they muster 40 effective minutes for a road victory against Carolina Blue? As legendary coach and broadcaster Al McGuire used to say, "Holy Mackerel". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4fz4hhpFoE&NR=1  NEXT
 
 
 
 
Speaking of McGuire, I will never forget the only time I saw him in person. It was at the old Jacksonville Coliseum in December 1976 when the Gators played Marquette in the Big Sun Tournament. When he first appeared from the Warriors' dressing room, he gave off an "aura of charisma" just by his presence. I have only felt it one other time while sitting in an audience.
 
I once saw Frank Sinatra in Las Vegas and his aura had that same impact on me. It is not just fame, it is someone who exudes class that nearly knocks you off your feet. But back to hoops, did or does anyone in the basketball world have that effect on you? I would be curious to hear and without mentioning your name, I will include the "serious" responses in a future blog.  NEXT
 
 
 
 
With my apologies to our Wake Forest alum bloggees, it is tough to see one's team score less than 40 points in a game and almost get doubled. That happened to the Demon Deacons Wednesday night at Georgia Tech 74 - 39 http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201101190232 . To add salt to the wound, consider that they only scored 13 points in the second half and had no one in double figures. This proud program should rebound but the growing pains under new  coach Jeff "Scrabble" Bzdelik reminds me of Auburn this year under their first-year coach, Tony Barbee. NEXT
 
 
 
 
 
Is it just me or do you also find  it unusual to see a team gather 16 offensive rebounds but only score 18 field goals in that game (can you say "put back")? Plus they won the game. That happened Wednesday night with FSU in the battle of UF in-state rivals, when the Noles nipped Miami 55 - 53. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=201101190355  The Seminoles stud, Chris Singleton, shot 2 for 13, including 0 for 3 from way back. In fact, both teams shot no better than 34 %----23% from three-point land. With over 40 fouls committed, I will just assume it was an ugly defensive battle that I am glad I missed. However, FSU's win does help its early season conquerors, UF.  NEXT
 
 
 
 
 
Because I only attended University of Texas for a 12-month graduate program, I don't have the passion toward the Longhorns as I do toward the Orange and Blue. However, the year I was there, they won the NIT which was relevant back then. Long-time San Antonino Spurs' Johnny Moore  was the starting point guard http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moorejo01.html . Abe Lemons was the coach and he was an amazing personality. I will never forget this scene on his Coach's Show.
 
The SWC title hopes of the UT men's basketball team apparently had been derailed by a loss to Baylor. .
But when No. 1-ranked Arkansas was later upset by Houston, the Horns were granted new life. To vividly illustrate that point, Lemons opened his weekly TV show lying in a casket, dressed in black and holding a flower. Lemons then popped up and proclaimed, "We're not dead yet!"

Back to the Longhorns....in Wednesday night's 81 - 60 thrashing of  Texas A & M they had a statistic that makes all Gator basketball fans (along with others) envious http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=201101190585 . The Horns' were successful on 19 of 22 free throws for 86 %. If I were Billy Donovan, I would be placing a call to the Horns'  Rick Barnes and ask how did they do it?
By the way, I couldn't help but notice that Gator transfer, Jai Lucas, played 15 minutes with 1 assist and 1 field goal attempt that was missed along with 2 personal fouls. THAT'S IT.


Enjoy and good luck to the Gators against Auburn tonight along with Samford facing the Gamecock killers, Furman,

Barry


P.S. I sent out blogs on back to back days again. Darn. As always, feel free to reply with "you wore me out" and I will take you off the list. Believe me, I won't be insulted.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment